Located to the North of Newcastle and within walking distance of Newcastle city centre, It is one of the most expensive residential areas in the North East and has a range of stunning houses with many rented out to students attending the local universities of Newcastle and Northumbria and young professionals working in and around Newcastle. There is a good choice of local bars and restaurants where the whole area comes alive during summer months with bars and cafe’s offering customers the chance to enjoy the summer sun with Al Fresco dining.
There are plenty of public transport options available to get to Jesmond with 2 metro stations, Jesmond and West Jesmond available or you have a choice of buses to choose from.
The choice of accommodation is great whether your looking for a Luxury Jesmond hotel, cheap bed and breakfast, or longer term accommodation to rent this leafy Newcastle surburb has it all.
One place to visit while in Jesmond is the public park Jesmond Dene set in 62 acres of woodland, crags streams, waterfalls and widlife. A total escape from modern living this beautiful park was created by Lord Armstrong before he gave it to the town. On the west side of Jesmond Dene Road is a detached part of the grounds where the ruins of the Chapel of St Mary’s of Jesmond can be found, which was a resort for pilgrims in medieval times due to the healings miracles that occured at the well and the apparition of the blessed Mary. Pilgrim street in Newcastle was named after the number of pilgrims took accommodation there en route to St Mary’s. The chapel was built in th the 12th century and extended in the 14th century but by 1428 had become in a state of disrepair but due to it’s recognition as a healing place, Pope Martin of Rome asked for it to be restored. While Edward VI was in power he supressed the chapel in 1548 and it was sold to the mayor of Newcastle the following year, then onto John Brandling who was squire of Jesmond at the time. After the chapel was not used for any type of religious and finally became a barn and stable. By 1883 it was in complete ruins, the land and the ruins that stood in the land were given to the the public as a park for the people of Newcastle